Joint Communication to the European Parliament and the Council
A Strategic Approach to Resilience in the EU's External Action
The aim of this Joint Communication is to identify how a strategic approach to resilience can increase the impact of EU external action and sustain progress towards EU development, humanitarian, foreign and security policy objectives, given the more fluid landscape of global challenges and risks that the EU global strategy describes. It recognizes the need to move away from crisis containment to a more structural, long-term, non-linear approach to vulnerabilities, with an emphasis on anticipation, prevention and preparedness. Suggested strategies include:
- Resilience and inclusive and participatory societies.
- Economic resilience.
- A greater emphasis on needs resulting from protracted crises.
- Resilience and the prevention of violent conflict.
- Resilience, climate change and environmental degradation.
- Resilience, migration and forced displacement.