The Peace Education Programme (PEP) Evaluation
The objectives of PEP can be summarized as follows:
- PEP educators strive to promote proactive peace; and
- PEP educators teach peace building skills to pre-empt conflicts, including an initiation into mediation techniques for conflict prevention and dispute containment.
The program has three main components, which encompass all potential school and out-of-school youth, camp leaders and secondary school graduates in the camp, illiterate adults, housewives, and potential PEP teachers. The first component is the formal education or school program. The second is the non-formal or community workshop for adults and out-of-school youth, which is the most dynamic element in the entire program. And the third is the training program for teachers and facilitators.
- Case Study 1: Kenya (1998-2005, 2008)
- Case Study 2: Ghana
- Case Study 3: Timor-Leste (2007-2009)
- Case Study 4: Sudan (2003-2006)