Safe Healing and Learning Spaces Toolkit (website)
A Safe Healing and Learning Space (SHLS) is a secure, caring and predictable place where children and adolescents living in conflict and crisis settings can learn, develop and be protected. The SHLS Toolkit provides child protection and education practitioners with all of the content needed to initiate an SHLS program. This toolkit has six sections:
- SHLS Approach: Step-by-step guidance to set up, monitor and evaluate a safe, caring and predictable environment in the SHLS.
- Social-Emotional Learning: Explicit social-emotional learning (SEL) instruction and complementary recreational and creative games.
- Math: Foundational math instruction for children at the ‘emerging' ability level who need support with basic math skills.
- Reading: Foundational reading instruction for children at the ‘emerging' ability level who need support with basic reading skills.
- Parenting Skills: Instruction to strengthen positive parenting skills for caregivers of children and adolescents.
- Printing Guide: Recommendations for using the print-ready PDFs based on available printing options.