Starting Early to Build Stronger and More Peaceful Societies
Recognizing the interconnectedness of social development and peace articulated in the new Sustainable Development Goals, UNICEF is working with partners on innovative early childhood development (ECD) interventions to reduce violence, promote peace, and provide a robust foundation for children to grow into healthy, active and engaged community members. There are a number of specific ways ECD programming can contribute to peacebuilding:
- Providing safe, caring and loving environments for young children.
- Promoting positive attitudes and skills in children.
- Improving caregiver and children well-being
- Reducing conflict and violence
- Diminishing inequities and contributing to social justice
- Serving as platforms for community cohesion. (pp. 1-4)